Friday, January 28, 2011

My way...or the highway?! Chicken Picata my way!

Perhaps it's the fact that I grew up in a house where my mom ruled the roost, I had very little say in anything. It was her way or the highway. As an adult I'm bent on doing things my way for the simple fact that I can. I read lots and lots of recipes and reviews, but hardly ever follow one to a T. I like to make my own way and cook the way I like with ingredients that are tasty to me. That is what draws me to cooking, being able to take ingredients and flavors that I like and put them together to make a delish meal. We (hubs and kidos) are going to spend Saturday out at my mom's. Hubs will work around the house and mom and I will play with the kidos and cook, we are making hamburger sliders and sweet potato fries for lunch and Chicken Picata my way for dinner. Here's the Chicken Picata my way recipe

Dredge 8 chicken cutlets in flour, in a non-nonstick skillet heat about 1/4 cup of evoo over med high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides and remove from the pan. Reduce the heat to low and add in about 2 cups of chicken broth and whisk the bottom of the pan to get all the good browned bits up. I use the zest from 2 lemons and the juice from about 4 lemons into the pan, with a palm full of capers and a bunch of sliced mushrooms. Put the chicken boobs back in the pan, cover and let simmer for 25 mins while you mash the taters. Before I serve I pull the chicken boobs out and give the sauce a stir and taste. I adjust the lemon, broth, salt content and if I'm feeling like it I'll throw in some chopped basil. I ALWAYS finsh any sacue with a Tablespoon or two of butter. It just completes it.
I cut red potatoes in half and boil until they are fork tender, then I drain and add a nice spoonful of chopped garlic (as much or as little as you like) butter and milk, salt and pepper.
I also usually steam some asparagus, and season with Everglades seasoning.

This is a dish you can proudly serve to guests, the leftovers are even better the next day and the chicken and sauce are ridiculous over pasta too. When heating the leftovers the next day add 1-2 Tablespoons of broth to loosen the sauce back up.
I'll try to take a picture to post of our dinner tomorrow night. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment