Monday, January 10, 2011

You don't want to miss this post

So, most people know that I cook for a family of 6 as a little side joby. I love to cook, obviously, but this family doesn't always eat things that MY family typically enjoys. However, I kinda stumbled on this when preparing for Robbie's party and I carried it over to the meals I prepared today, and I'm excited to share the literally endless possibilities!!!! Those that know me know that I rarely eat leftovers as the same meal as the first I prepared. I like a meal once, but I don't want to eat it all week. This is the perfect way to make chicken last for several different meals! The best part is because you cook it in a crockpot it's moist and tender. No more roasting a chicken for leftovers for me. I'll just toss some frozen boobs in the crock pot to cook in their own loverly juices. So, if you have a busy week COOK ONCE!!! Not kidding! I used my 2 qt crock pot and filled it up with chicken cutlets, turned it on low and walked away. From that pot of chicken I've made 10 buffalo chicken wraps and 10 chicken quesadillas. I have a ton leftover! So, for dinner tomorrow night I'm going to toss some shredded chicken with our fave bbq sauce and cook up some black eyed peas and cornbread. I have leftover buffalo sauced chicken so that will make a great salad for me for lunch. I'll make a couple more chicken quesadillas for Robbie's lunch this week and stick them in the fridge. I think I'll add a handful to some yellow rice and top with black beans for dinner one night, those leftovers can be wrapped up into a burrito with the addition of your favorite salsa and some sour cream. Don't care for yellow rice? Try my mom's favorite cilantro lime rice. Just add some chopped cilantro and lime juice to any white rice. Oh, and while you are making rice, make a little extra because with all the chicken, rice and veggies you've made fried rice is just some sauce away (soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and red pepper flakes)  I can take some shredded chicken and add a handful or two to some chicken stock and add some leftover veggies and noodles for a soup, or make a homemade chicken salad with chopped onion, celery, crasins and a little mayo. Or I can take some chicken and toss with a bit of salsa and roll up in corn tortillas and cook on 350 until crispy for homemade taquitos. The possibilities are truly endless. The shredded chicken can even be frozen for use later! I highly reccoment adding a few of these easy recipes to your weekly menu. Save some time by cooking your chicken all at once.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Melissa, I think I will do just that! Inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must remind myself not to read your blogs at midnight. I so want to get up and hit the grocery store for chicken. Thanks so much for starting this blog. This along with you other meals are taking the blah out of dinner for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to make a crock of chicken!! I sent you a message for a recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete