Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oatmeal Epiphany and a Tuna casserole mishaps...oh my!

As a breastfeeding mom I know that oatmeal is good for me, and in more ways than one. But I've NEVER been a fan, and I've never been able to get Robbie to eat it either so that was that. My mom started making oatmeal the old fashioned way...you know on the stove top, and we would add our favorite ingredients to make it our own. Robbie started flying by for bites and Timmy was super interested too. So I decided to get some and try it at our house, I bought some Irish cut oats, not the rolled kind. At first I made them with water and just added some almond milk to cool them off and sort of loosen them up some for the kids. We loved them. Timmy was lurching for the spoon and Robbie was eating a bowl each morning. I love the flavor and consistency of cut oats so much more than rolled oats. They chaned my life. LOL In an effort to eat better I joined weight watchers and was researching breakfast recipes...then I had my 'oatmeal epiphany' I had apple cider in the fridge so instead of making our morning oatmeal with plain water I used apple cider, threw in some cranberries and chopped Georgia pecans and Oh heavens...that made my day. How yummy!!! I thought we liked oatmeal before, now I have to make a HUGE bowl because everyone wants some. I'm super proud of myself for making a flavored oatmeal naturally at home. Yay Me!!!!

Last night the kitchen was piled high with dished and  I hadn't had time to really address the issue until JR got home. I know I wanted to make something for dinner because the lasagna leftovers in the fridge had been determined to have too much dairy in it for Robbie. I decided on a tuna casserole....a box of boiled elbow pasta a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of cheddar cheese soup, 1/2 bag of frozen mixed veggies and 4 small cans of tuna..mix together and top with crushed potato chips. Sounded marvelous....except I made too many noodles so the end result was very bland and not saucy at all. What could have been a problem actually turned into a pretty good idea...I added some hot sauce to my bowl, making mine a bowl of buffalo tuna casserole. JR added some garlic powder and parmesan cheese to his making his an italian tuna casserole, and we added a squirt of BBQ sauce to Robbie's and viola! He had BBQ tuna casserole. The best part was that we all scarffed it right down! I love meals that we can make our own by adding one or two more ingredients. So for lunch today I'm going to sprinkle in some ground cumin and a little lowfat cheddar cheese and black olives to make it a mexican tuna casserole. he he he I think I'll actually make this again because 1. it's cheap 2. we'll actually eat it until it's gone 3. it's a healthy blank canvas for flavor.

1 comment:

  1. You are creative in the kitchen that's for sure.
    I will have to share my mexican lasagna I made last night because I had ground meat and leftover cheese dip in my fridge

    ReplyDelete